Melissa Lin is a partner at Righi Fitch Law Group and has earned an AV Preeminent® rating by Martindale-Hubbell®. Her practice includes the representation of individuals, contractors, businesses, and municipalities in tort and contract litigation, primarily in the areas of general liability, construction defect litigations, complex litigation, personal injury, and product liability. She was selected to the 2017 Southwest Super Lawyers® Rising Stars℠ list, was named to Lawyers of Color's 2013 Inaugural Hot List for the Western Region, and was named as one of the top valley attorneys by North Valley magazine 2013.
Melissa prides herself on the early evaluation of cases for creative and early case settlement and resolution. She has successfully defended, mediated, and settled numerous construction defect cases for general contractors and developers involving multiple homeowners and homeowners’ associations. She successfully prevailed on a defense motion for summary judgment on a breach of implied warranty claim through appeal, motion for reconsideration, and motion for new trial where the plaintiff alleged damages of over $1 million. The filing of a motion for partial summary judgment limited plaintiff damages to approximately $50,000 and led the parties to ultimately settle.
Melissa was second chair for the defense of a multi-week, seven-day construction defect trial where the plaintiff was requesting just under $1 million in damages and the defendant asserted a cost of repair of just under $20,000. The jury found for the defense on common law fraud, consumer fraud, and negligent misrepresentation claims, and only awarded the plaintiff damages on warranty claims in the amount of $230,000. As a result of defense work on fee-shifting, the plaintiff agreed to walk away from the trial judgment with each party bearing their own fees and costs.
Melissa was a 2008 – 2012 board member of the Women’s Metropolitan Arts Council (WoMAC) of the Phoenix Art Museum. She previously served as the 2010 – 2011 president, 2009 – 2010 vice president of membership and the 2008 – 2009 secretary for WoMAC. She was honored as the December 2011 Volunteer of the Month by the Phoenix Art Museum.
- University of Arizona, James E. Rogers College of Law, Tucson, Arizona, Juris Doctorate, 2004
- University of Arizona, Tucson, Arizona, Bachelor of Science (cum laude), Molecular and Cellular Biology; Spanish (minor), 2001
- Arizona, 2005
- California, 2011
- U.S. District Court of Arizona, 2011
- USPTO, 2004
Professional Associations & Memberships
- State Bar of California, Member
- State Bar of Arizona, Member; YLD Board Member at Large, 2013 – 2014; Treasurer, 2012 – 2013; Secretary, 2011 – 2012; District 4 Representative, 2008 – 2011
- Defense Research Institute, Women in the Law Committee Member 2009 – 2017; Diversity Committee 2013 – 2017; 2016 Diversity for Success Seminar Chair, 2015 – 2017; Construction Law Membership Chair
- Maricopa County Bar Association, Construction Law Section Chair, Vice Chair, and Board Member, 2008 – 2013; Litigation Law Section, Board Member, 2012 – 2017
- Arizona Association of Defense Counsel, Member 2007 – Present; Young Lawyers Division, Vice President and Board Member, 2009 – 2011
- Arizona Women’s Law Association, Member, 2007 – 2015
- Arizona Asian American Bar Association, Board Member, 2011 – 2013, Member 2011 – 2015
- Women’s Metropolitan Arts Council, 2008 – 2012
Articles & Publications
- “Rainmaking Essentials: A Candid Conversation with Industry Decision Makers and Successful Female Rainmakers”
- “Woman Leaders in the Law: An Intergenerational Perspective on Long-Term Legal Careers and the Importance of Mentoring”
- “A Recent Extrapolation Ruling in Arizona Construction Defect Cases and its Implications for the Defense of Extrapolation in Construction Defect Cases"
- 2012 Arizona Association of Defense Counsel CLE, “Ladder Down: Leadership, Business Development and Mentoring for Women”
- 2010 State Bar of Arizona Annual Convention, “Legal and Practical Considerations for Board Service and Recent Developments in Non-Profit Governance”
- 2010 Arizona Association of Defense Counsel YDL CLE, “Networking and Marketing for the Young Lawyer, Litigation Basics for the Civil Defense Associate”
Melissa is the daughter of Taiwanese immigrants. She grew up in Tucson, Arizona where her parents have owned and operated a small business for over 36 years. She enjoys rock climbing, yoga, sprint triathlons, walking her three dogs, and spending time with her husband and twins.
Contact Melissa today at (602) 483-6352.